The Director General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, on Monday, decried the nationwide non-compliance with the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19’s guidelines for gradual reopening of the economy. Ihekweazu who stated this during the task force press briefing in Abuja, warned that President Muhammadu Buhari, could restore the lockdown if the guidelines were not observed and there was a surge in coronavirus cases. The President had, on March 30, imposed a two-week lockdown on the Federal Capital Territory, Lagos and Ogun states, but at the…
Read MoreCategory: News
CBN moves to stop mass sacking in banks
The Central Bank of Nigeria |(CBN) as said that no bank worker, whether permanent or temporary, will be sacked due to the economic slump occasioned by the current coronavirus pandemic. The CBN and the Bankers ‘ Committee revealed this after their meeting. This came amid earlier warning by the Federal Government to employers against sacking workers during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The Committee’s decision followed a “Special Meeting,” held on Saturday, which was taken to “help minimise and mitigate the negative impact of the COVID19 pandemic on families and livelihoods.”…
Read MoreBanks, others urged to decontaminate premises before resumption
Ogun State Government has appealed to banks and other corporate organisations to decontaminate their premises before the resumption of business activities in the state. The state Commissioner for Environment, Abiodun Abudu-Balogun, said this on Sunday in a statement in Abeokuta. Governor Dapo Abiodun had given the hint that his administration would soon ease the lockdown and allow business to begin within the state. Abudu-Balogun explained that the decontamination became imperative because of the large number of customers and visitors that would be thronging the premises for transaction on a daily basis.…
Read MoreKano Governor gets Buhari’s approval, relaxes lockdown
Abdullahi Ganduje, Kano State Governor, says he has the nod of the President Muhammadu Buhari to relax the 14-day lockdown imposed on the state. Buhari pronounced the lockdown on the state during his address to the nation on Monday as part of measures to curb the rising coronavirus infections recorded in the state. Ganduje had subsequently hailed the decision but pleaded with the President to ease the lockdown. In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Abba Anwar, on Saturday evening, the governor said he has the consent of the…
Read MoreRano Emir dies at 74
Alhaji Tafida Abubakar Ila Auta Bawo, the Emir of Rano in Kano State is dead. He died on Saturday at a hospital in Kano at the age of 74. Turakin Rano and House of Representatives member representing Rano, Kibiya and Bunkure Federal Constituency, Alhaji Kabir Alhassan-Rururm, confirmed the death of the monarch. He said the late emir was survived by 17 children and two wives, adding that the deceased had been buried in the emirate. The Rano Emirate Council on Sunday confirmed that the emir was sick, but that his…
Read MoreCOVID-19: US issues emergency approval for remdesivir for patients
President Donald Trump announced Friday that the experimental drug remdesivir has been authorized by US regulators for emergency use against COVID-19. It comes after the antiviral made by Gilead Sciences was shown in a major clinical trial to shorten the time to recovery in some coronavirus patients, the first time any medicine has had a proven benefit against the disease. “It is really a really promising situation,” Trump said at the White House, where he was joined by Gilead’s CEO Daniel O’Day. “We are humbled with this first step for…
Read MoreCoronavirus: Dokpesi, seven other family members test positive
Chief Raymond Dokpesi, founder of DAAR Communications, his daughter-in-law and six members of his family have tested positive for coronavirus. This comes three days after his son and Chairman of the board of the company, Raymond Dokpesi Jnr, tested positive for the virus. A test conducted by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on the Dokpesi family came out positive for the eight members of the family. It stated that other affected family members were, on Friday, conveyed by the NCDC to the isolation centre at the University of Abuja…
Read MoreAbiodun extends lockdown in Ogun State by one week
Dapo Abiodun, Ogun State Governor, on Friday extended the lockdown of the state by one week from May 4 to 11, 2020. Abiodun also extended the relaxation period from seven to 10 hours. The governor said this in a broadcast at his office in Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta. He said his decision was in line with the order of the President Muhammadu Buhari. Buhari had in his presidential broadcast announced a curfew to be imposed on Ogun, Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory between 8pm and 6am from May 4. But Abiodun…
Read MoreControversial bill empowers FG to convert private properties to isolation centres
Controversial bill empowers FG to convert private properties to isolation centre A controversial bill sponsored by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, and two of his colleagues, seeking to empower the Federal Government to convert any property in the country, including private properties, to isolation centres has continued to attract criticisms. Apart from members of the House who protested that they were not served copies while it was read at plenary on Tuesday, before it hurriedly passed first and second readings on the same day, lawyers…
Read MoreKano records three more COVID-19 deaths as cases hit 311
Kano state Health Ministry has revealed via Twitter that the state has recorded three new coronavirus fatalities, shortly after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced 92 new infections in the state, bringing the total confirmed cases to 311. “As at 11:25pm 1st May 2020, 92 new cases of COVID-19 cases confirmed. Total confirmed cases in Kano State are now 311. “3 additional COVID-19 deaths were recorded. Total COVID-19 deaths are now 8,” the state Health Ministry tweeted. Meanwhile, the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said on Friday that a 14-man team…
Read More