NAFDAC, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, on Friday said it was concerned about claims in the social media that the agency had approved drugs and vaccine for COVID-19, describing the claim as misleading. The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, said in a statement that although a research was ongoing to find cure for COVID-19, there was no drug or vaccine for the virus yet. She said, “NAFDAC is concerned about several reports and claims on social media and other media on drugs or vaccine…
Read MoreCategory: News
Dividends: Shareholders applaud Access Bank
At the 31st Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Access Bank Plc held in Lagos by proxy due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Shareholders of the Bank commended the board of directors, management and staff for recording an impressive results and paying increased dividend for the year ended December 31, 2019. Access Bank Plc ended the year with a profit before tax (PBT) of N115.378 billion, a profit after tax of N97.5 billion and paid a final dividend of 40 kobo per share to bring the total dividend for the year…
Read MoreCOVID-19: Infected health workers rise from 40 to 113 in one week
113 health workers had been infected with COVID-19. This was made known by the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, on Thursday. Ehanire, who disclosed this at the press briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja, said they included workers in the public and private health facilities. He, therefore, reiterated his advice to health workers that it was dangerous to treat coronavirus patients without using personal protective equipment. The minister had, at the task force media briefing in Abuja on April 23, said about 40 health workers in the…
Read MoreWoman Falls To Her Death While Posing For Picture in Turkey
While posing for a picture in Turkey, a 31-year-old woman slipped on the grass and fell from a 115-foot cliff to her death. The incident occurred on Sunday after the government lifted the coronavirus quarantine in the city. Kazakh native Olesya Suspitsyna died in front of her female friend who was taking the photograph in the tourist city of Antalya in the south-west of the country as reported by The Daily Mail. The women decided to take a walk to the popular Duden Park, known for its waterfalls, after weeks…
Read MoreEvidence ties China lab to COVID-19 virus – Donald Trump
Donald Trump, US President, on Thursday threatened China with fresh tariffs as he stepped up his attacks on Beijing over the coronavirus crisis, saying he had seen evidence linking a Wuhan lab to the contagion. The diatribe from the Republican incumbent came as data showed the United States shed more than 30 million jobs in six weeks, as lockdown measures began to bite across the nation. The gloom in the world’s largest economy found its parallel across the Atlantic, where experts warned of an unprecedented financial catastrophe in Europe. The…
Read MoreNigeria granted €22.4m debt relief over COVID-19 pandemic
Nigeria has been granted a debt relief worth €22.4 million (N8.9bn) by Germany due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Germany also noted it has pledged a total of €12 million (N4.8bn) in additional support to the West Africa Health Organisation, the regional health institution of the ECOWAS. In a statement on Tuesday, Germany, Europe’s largest economy, said the debt relief was in addition to its support of the pandemic response globally. It said: “In 2020, the German treasury relieves Nigeria of debt repayments amounting to €22.4 million (N8.9bn). “This comes in…
Read MoreNigerian woman put up for sale on Facebook by Lebanese, rescued
Peace Ufuoma, Nigerian lady recently advertised for sale on Facebook by Wael Jerro, a Lebanese, has been rescued. Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM, made the announcement on its Twitter handle on Tuesday. The tweet read: “The Nigerian girl who was trafficked and put for sale by a Lebanese man, Wael Jerro, has been rescued. She is presently with the Nigerian Mission in Lebanon,” it wrote on Twitter. “This is coming days after the arrest of Mr Jerro (for putting up Peace Ufuoma for sale). Many thanks to the Nigerian mission…
Read MoreSchools resumption date not known yet– Education minister
Emeka Nwajiuba, the Minister of State for Education, has said that despite the announcement by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), on a gradual relaxation of the lockdown on Abuja, Lagos and Ogun states, the Federal Ministry of Education could not foresee or give any date when schools will be resuming in the country. Nwajiuba said this during a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday in Abuja. The minister said, “The President actually addressed the issue of the opening of the economy gradually. Until…
Read MoreUmahi apologises, says feud with journalists not intentional
David Umahi, Ebonyi State Governor, on Tuesday, begged journalists in the state, saying the disagreement between him and them was unintentional. Umahi, who described the squabble as a case between ‘a father and his son’, noted that it was better to work in unison with the media at all times. Recall that Umahi, last week, arrested the correspondents of The Sun and Vanguard newspapers in the state for allegedly reporting falsehood on Lassa fever and military invasion in Ebonyi communities. The governor went further to bar the reporters from the Government House for life,…
Read MoreCOVID-19: 18 sex workers arrested, brothel shut in Ondo
The dusk-to-dawn curfew imposed in Ondo State, by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu on April 14, 2020 as part of measures to contain the spread the deadly COVID-19 has been violated by some dissidents, especially commercial sex workers in the state. Arrested for flouting the governor’s directives are 18 suspected commercial sex workers and their customers arrested by the Ondo State Task Force on COVID-19 while monitoring the compliance rate within the state capital. The suspects who were arrested at a brothel in Shasha area, in Akure North Local Government Area of…
Read More