Bauchi Gov’s Brother kidnapped

Elder brother to the Bauchi state Governor, Bala Mohammed, has been kidnapped by unknown gunmen. According to a source, close to the family, Adamu Mohammed Duguri,  was allegedly taken captive around 7:30 pm on Wednesday at Anguwar Jaki in Bauchi metropolis. The kidnap incident is coming barely 24 hours after the younger brother, the governor of Bauch state, Bala Mohammed tested positive for the dreaded coronavirus disease. Share on: WhatsApp

Read More

COVID-19: Dangote donates N200m, rallies OPS against virus

In support of the Federal Government’s ongoing efforts to tackle the coronavirus (COVID-19) menace sweeping across the country, Aliko Dangote and Herbert Wigwe are spearheading a coalition of Organised Private Sector, OPS. This gesture is in addition to the N200 million earlier pledged by the Aliko Dangote Foundation, ADF, to help curb its spread. The initiative, which is called Coalition Against Coronavirus, COCAVID, will involve the erection of fully-equipped medical tents to house patients and serve as training, testing, isolation and treatment centres, with an additional facility also provided in…

Read More

Anthony Joshua in self-isolation after contact with Prince Charles

Boxing champion, Anthony Joshua, has gone into self-isolation after Prince Charles tested positive to coronavirus on Wednesday. Joshua had on March 9 spent some time with the Prince but it is unclear if the prince had contracted the virus by then or not. According to Joshua’s spokesman, the heavyweight champion remains ‘fit and healthy’ despite coming into contact with Prince Charles only a couple of weeks before the heir to the throne tested positive for coronavirus. The world heavyweight champion is following government guidelines around self-isolation but has shown no…

Read More

First Bank partners Lagos Government on e-learning

In its effort to minimise the disruption to education resulting from schools’ closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic, First Bank said it would partner the Lagos State Government and other stakeholders by equipping and empowering primary, secondary as well as tertiary schools with e-learning devices. The Chief Executive Officer of First Bank, Dr Adesola Adeduntan, said this in a statement on Wednesday. He  said the partnership followed the activation of the bank’s business continuity process and subsequent deployment of safety initiatives across its business outlets nationwide to ensure the safety and wellbeing…

Read More

Common entrance examination into unity schools postponed indefinitely

The 2020 National Common Entrance Examination into the 104 Federal Unity schools nationwide has been postponed indefinitely by the National Examinations Council due to the spreading coronavirus epidemic in the country. The council said on Tuesday that the postponement was in line with the various measures being put in place by the federal and state governments to curtail the potential spread of the coronavirus. The council in a release urged candidates, guardians and relevant stakeholders who were preparing for the examination earlier scheduled for March 28, to wait for a…

Read More

62-year-old UK returnee tested positive in Ogun, 32 isolated

The Ogun State Government has confirmed that a 62-year-old man who recently returned from the United Kingdom had tested positive for COVID -19. The state Commissioner for Health,  Dr Tomi Coker, disclosed this on Tuesday while briefing journalists  on the coronavirus in the state. Coker, at the briefing attended  by the Special Adviser to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Public Communications, Remmy Hazzan, said 32 contacts had been isolated. Coker said the case was a resident of Sagamu and that he recently  arrived in the country from the United Kingdom on March 17 before he  started showing symptoms…

Read More

Lagos governor shut markets, reduces gathering limit to 25

As part of measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday ordered the closure of all markets in the state except food markets and those selling essential commodities. Sanwo-Olu, at a press conference, said the closure of the markets would take effect from Thursday and would last for seven days in the first instance. He noted that there had been an increase in the total number of confirmed cases nationwide, with Lagos recording  the highest number. Explaining more measures to check COVID-19…

Read More

Panic in Aso Rock as Abba Kyari tests positive for COVID-19

The Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, and the Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, have both tested positive for COVID-19. There is panic among governors and ministers due to the fact that Kyari after his return from foreign trips a few days ago attended the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday, while Mohammed was at the National Executive Council meeting on Thursday. Kyari, after Nigeria recorded the first coronavirus case on February 27 visited Germany and Egypt. In Germany, he and the Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, on…

Read More

Insurgents ambush, kill 47 soldiers in Borno

The Nigerian military yesterday, lost 47 soldiers in an ambush by the Boko Haram sect in Borno State. Defence Headquarters (DHQ) confirmed the killings. The clarification, which was in the wake of 70-casualty figure earlier circulated on the social media, was made by the Director of Defence Information, Major General John Enenche in Abuja. Giving an update on the military operations across the country, he noted that Nigeria was in a fluid conflict situation while the troops were at the frontlines. Enenche explained that the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole…

Read More

N570m fraud: Oyo-Ita, eight others get N200m bail

Immediate past Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HoCSF), Winifred Oyo-Ita, yesterday(Monday) got a NI00 million bail in the N570 million fraud suit initiated against her and eight others by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). They were arraigned before Federal High Court, Abuja presided over by Justice Taiwo Taiwo. Oyo-Ita and the other eight defendants are standing trial for an 18-count charge bordering on fraud and money laundering. They are being prosecuted for N570 million allegedly revolving around corruption, fraud, estacodes and duty travel allowances (DTAs)…

Read More