At least 100 residential buildings, school, churches were reportedly destroyed by an explosion Akure, the Ondo State capital, Saturday morning. The cause of the blast is yet to be ascertained but the incident caused huge damage and number of casualties cannot be confirmed. The Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, in a tweet said he had been briefed and would visit the scene of the incident. “I’ve been briefed by security agencies in the state concerning the loud blast that was heard in Akure. I will be at the scene to assess…
Read MoreCategory: News
COVID-19: U.S. announces N2.6bn aid to Nigeria
Amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the United States Government has announced a 7 million dollars (about N2.6 billion) emergency health and humanitarian aid to Nigeria. This is part of a 274 million dollars (N103 billion) assistance package to no fewer than 63 countries affected by the disease, according to a statement by the Department of States on Friday. Nigeria’s share, the statement said, will go into funding of “risk communication, water and sanitation activities, infection prevention, and coordination’’. “This assistance joins more than 5.2 billion dollars (N1.9 trillion) in U.S.…
Read MoreIPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu, donates N50m to fight coronavirus
Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, on Friday evening announced the donation of N50 million to States in Biafran land to fight Coronavirus pandemic. Mazi Kanu while making the announcement of the donation on Friday in a radio broadcast described it as contingency fund from IPOB’s coffers. He said that part of the fund would be used to ensure that some hospitals located at strategic centres in the Southeast zone are equipped to tackle the scourge. “We never knew that the virus is coming,…
Read MoreNCDC announces 11 new cases as Nigeria’s coronavirus cases hit 81
With 11 new recorded cases of coronavirus in Nigeria, the total number of confirmed cases in the country is now 81. The Nigeria Disease Control Centre made this known late on Friday. It said eight new cases were recorded in Lagos State, two in Enugu and one in Edo. “11 new cases of #COVID-19 have been reported in Nigeria: Eight in Lagos State, two in Enugu and one in Edo. “As of 11:55pm on 27th of March, there are 81 confirmed cases of #COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. Three have been…
Read MoreCOVID-19: France records 365 deaths in biggest daily rise
In a single day, the number of people who have died from coronavirus in the United Kingdom hospitals has risen by 115 to 578, as of 5pm on Thursday. It is the biggest daily rise in deaths across the country since the outbreak began. As of 9am on Thursday, 11,658 out of 104,866 people who have been tested for the virus were confirmed as positive cases. In France, the number of deaths from coronavirus has risen by 365 in 24 hours, from 1,331 to 1,696, according to health officials. Director…
Read MoreWike orders market closure as index case is confirmed
Nyesom Wike, Rivers State Governor, has confirmed the index positive case of coronavirus in the state, declaring that the state government has commenced contact tracing of those she had contact with. Wike also announced that all markets in the state would remain closed from Saturday, March 28, 2020. The governor also directed that all civil servants from Grade Level 1-10 were to remain at home from Friday (today) till further notice. Speaking in a broadcast on Thursday, Wike said, “It is, however, unfortunate that despite all the preventive measures we…
Read MoreUS overtakes China and Italy in virus cases
The United States on Thursday recorded the highest number in coronavirus infections and a record surge in unemployment as world leaders vowed $5 trillion to stave off global economic collapse. More than 500,000 people around the world have now contracted the new coronavirus, overwhelming healthcare systems even in wealthy nations and triggering an avalanche of government-ordered lockdowns that have disrupted life for billions. In the United States, more than 83,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19, edging out Italy, which has reported the most deaths, and China, where the virus…
Read MoreWe defeated Ebola in 2014, we will defeat Covid-19 — Jonathan
Goodluck Jonathan, former Nigeria President, has asked Nigerians to remain courageous and faithful. Jonathan who made the call on his Facebook page, yesterday, said that this is a time to show good citizenship, solidarity and patriotism. It will be recalled the zeal and support shown by Nigerians in 2014 when his government battled Ebola virus to a standstill, Jonathan also called on the people to redisplay such enthusiasm and readiness to combat the coronavirus, assuring a complete defeat of the disease soon. He wrote: “Today, our world faces a global…
Read MoreSenate President urges FG to provide relief for Nigerians
Senator Ahmad Lawan, President of the Senate, has called on the Federal Government to immediately devise ways of providing relief for poor Nigerians whose daily livelihood will be affected as a result of the restriction on movement due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lawan made the appeal against the backdrop of a meeting between the leadership of the National Assembly and some Ministers and Heads of government agencies yesteday in Abuja. According to the Senate President, besides mulling a total lockdown of business activities in the country, a plan must be…
Read MoreBuhari approves Lagos N10bn request
President Muhammadu Buhari , on Thursday night, issued some guidelines on the raging coronavirus pandemic and the efforts of his regime to combat it, including the approval of N10bn to be released to the Lagos State Government on request. He also said N5bn had been approved for release to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control to procure facilities to support emergency responses. The President’s response came amidst mounting criticism that he had remained taciturn while the virus ravaged the country. His media aide, Mr Garba Shehu, in a statement, quoted…
Read More