FG closes all land borders, suspends FEC meetings to contain COVID-19

The Federal Government on Monday ordered the closure of all land borders for four weeks and the suspension of Federal Executive Council (FEC) meetings indefinitely to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria. This was disclosed by Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation and chairman of the presidential task force on COVID-19. He said the council of state meeting earlier scheduled for Thursday has also been postponed. Share on: WhatsApp

Read More

COVID-19: IGP charge officers to enforce compliance of social gathering restrictions order

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has directed zonal Assistant inspectors-general of police and state police commissioners to strictly enforce the directives of restricting social gathering in their respective jurisdiction. Adamu in a statement in Abuja on Sunday, by the force spokesman, Frank Mba, enjoined Nigerians to voluntarily adhere to the orders. The IG asked the senior officers not to condone cases of unnecessary arrests and detention of suspects. The statement said, “Against the backdrop of the Covid-19 global health threat and the subsequent social restriction orders imposed by governments…

Read More

Adeboye, Kumuyi, Olukoya comply with restrictions on gathering, Oyedepo flouts order

Senior clerics including the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye; Sam Adeyemi of Daystar Christian Centre; the  General Superintendent of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry, Pastor William Kumuyi and Dr Daniel Olukoya of Mountain of Fires and Miracles Ministries complied with the orders of Ogun and Lagos state governments banning gathering of more than 50 persons. But the Living Faith Church Worldwide, Ota, Ogun State held physical services despite the orders. Adeboye during the online service said coronavirus would subside after God had proved…

Read More

Lagos, Kwara declare workers’ holiday

The  Lagos State Government, as part of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus, on Sunday directed civil servants from grade level one to 12 to work from home starting from today (Monday). The state  Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, at a press conference,  said the stay-at-home order would last for an initial period of 14 days. He commended Lagosians, who abided by the state government’s directive that banned a gathering of over 50 people, but warned those who flouted the order. He stated,  “In addition to this directive, I am…

Read More

Coronavirus: Cases hit 31 in Nigeria as Atiku’s son tests positive

The  Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, in its twitter handle on Sunday, said the coronavirus cases in the country has increased from 22 on Saturday to 31 on Sunday. The cases included 22 in Lagos State, four in the Federal Capital Territory, one in Oyo State and one in Ekiti State. The centre said the two in Ogun State, including the Italian index case, had tested negative and had been discharged. At 11:32pm on Sunday, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, tweeted that one of his sons had tested positive for the…

Read More

COVID-19: CBN, banks to provide funds for pharmaceutical companies

The Central Bank of Nigeria and the Bankers’ Committee have said they will give financial support to some specific pharmaceutical companies in the country, as part of efforts to tackle the spread of coronavirus. After an extraordinary meeting in Lagos on Saturday, they pledged to grant funding facilities (in naira and foreign exchange) to pharmaceutical companies to enable them to procure raw materials and equipment to boost local drug production in Nigeria. The Bankers’ Committee also gave its support to the over N3.5tn policy measures earlier disclosed by the CBN…

Read More

Coronavirus: Adeboye, Oyedepo, Okonkwo, Adeyemi, others hold online services

In compliance with the directive of government banning all gatherings, including religious gatherings to curb the spread of coronavirus, prominent pastors in the country will begin to conduct Sunday services online and on television stations. The virus which started in Wuhan, China in the late 2019, has claimed many lives with many nations shutting down completely to prevent further spread of the deadly virus. Many of the big churches have been transmitting their services online, on their television and radio stations for a long time but these platforms will now…

Read More

FIRSTBANK DEPLOYS MEASURES TO PROTECT EMPLOYEES, CUSTOMERS, STAKEHOLDERS FROM CORONAVIRUS

First Bank of Nigeria plc, one of Nigeria’s leading financial institutions , has announced proactive measures it has taken to control the spread of the COVID – 19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. The Bank’s Group Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications, Folake Ani-Mumuney, said “embedded in our corporate strategy is business continuity management that ensures the delivery of products, services and initiatives to our stakeholders and enabling the economy in the long-term with minimal impact. Therefore, we have employed necessary measures to keep our employees, customers and the general public safe-guarded and sensitised…

Read More

Italian who brought coronavirus to Nigeria discharged

After testing negative for the virus, the Italian man who brought the deadly COVID-19 virus to Nigeria has been discharged. This was disclosed by Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Friday night on his verified twitter handle. Sanwo-Olu wrote: “As the COVID-19 Incident Commander for Lagos, I am glad to inform you that the index case; the Italian gentleman is now negative. “Through a combined effort of Lagos, Ogun State and Fed Health Authorities, we were able to limit the transmission of the virus to a single contact.” “The blood…

Read More

Ben Bruce loses wife, Evelyn to cancer

Senator Ben Murray Bruce is bereaved! The former lawmaker and former Director-General at Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) lost his wife after a protracted battle with cancer. On his social media wall, the 64 year old businessman wrote… “I’m broken. Just lost my beautiful wife to cancer. She was my best friend for 43 years and my wife for 41 years. Cancer is real, but it shouldn’t be a death sentence – awareness, and early detection and treatment are key to survival. I miss her so so much. I’m broken.‬ “‪Our…

Read More