Workers protest as psychiatric patients beat MD, nurses at Ondo State Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital

Due to an alleged insensitivity of the state government towards their welfare Medical workers at the Ondo State Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital, Akure, on Thursday protested. The protesters alleged that the government exposed them to attacks by psychiatric patients, who often assaulted them while on duty. It was gathered that the protest was staged after a patient, identified as Folorunsho Olawale, who was brought in by men of the Ondo State Police Command, allegedly attacked the nurses on duty and destroyed some equipment of the hospital on Wednesday. A source said Olawale…

Read More

Ex-DSS DG Ekpenyong questioned by EFCC

Mr Ita Ekpenyong, former Director-General of the Department of State Services, who led the agency from 2010 to 2015, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. Operatives of the DSS had on November 21, 2017 prevented men of the EFCC from arresting Ekpenyong and a former boss of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayodele Oke. It was gathered that the EFCC operatives, accompanied by over 20 armed policemen, searched the white mansion at 46 Mamman Nasir Street, Asokoro District, Abuja, for about two hours. It was, however, learnt…

Read More

Benue state accounts unfrozen

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, had unfrozen the state accounts. This was made known by the Benue State Commissioner for Finance, David Olofu, on Thursday. Olofu revealed that the affected banks informed the state government late on Wednesday of the directives vacating the earlier order. The Chief Press Secretary to the state governor, Terver Akase, had on Wednesday confirmed the freezing of the state accounts. The finance commissioner said, “We received an advisory from our bankers that the accounts of the state government have been placed on suspension. “These…

Read More

N1.17 billion worth of codeine syrup seized in Lagos

  A truckload of codeine cough syrup (100mg) was seized yesterday by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) in Lagos, valued at over N1.17 billion. The Federal Government had banned the production and importation of cough syrup containing codeine a few months ago after a report alerted on its role in drug addiction epidemic. Controller in charge of Federal Operations Unit (FOU) ‘A’ Ikeja, Mohammed Uba, who paraded other products like Tramadol, Indian hemp and Pangolin, among others, warned smugglers to desist from the illicit trade or face the wrath of…

Read More

Chelsea capture Kepa for world-record £72m fee

The club have found their replacement for Thibaut Courtois, who was sold to Real Madrid earlier in the day Chelsea have paid a reported world-record £72 million (€80m/$92m) to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga from Athletic Club as a successor to Real Madrid-bound Thibaut Courtois. The new fee smashes the previous goalkeeper transfer record, set when Liverpool purchased Alisson Becker from Roma for £65m in July. Kepa has signed a seven-year contract with the Blues as they finish the transfer window with a flourish “It’s a very important decision for me, for…

Read More

Akwa Ibom Now An APC State – Akpabio

SENATOR Godswill Akpabio says Akwa Ibom State now belongs to the All Progressive Congress, (APC). Mr Akpabio stated this on Wednesday when he officially defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the APC. “I want you to know that from today Akwa Ibom is now an APC state,” the lawmaker who is a former governor of the state said. He said his defection to the APC is for the interest of the state. “I am in APC to link the state to the centre,” Akpabio added. The former governor…

Read More

Couple arrested for selling three babies for N600,000

The Imo state Police have arrested a suspected couple Ugochukwu Nwachukwu 28-yr-old man and Mrs. Glory Ugochukwu 30-yr-old woman on Wednesday for allegedly selling three different babies including their own child, for N600,000. They made this confession at police Headquarters when they were paraded by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Dazuki Galadanchi. Dazuki said: “The above suspects were arrested by operatives of Anti Kidnapping Unit of the command on 20/07/2018 at Umuokai Owerri -Nta in Isiala Ngwa South Local government of Abia state. “Suspects conspired and lured one Jovita…

Read More

Siege on National Assembly: UK insists on rule of law

In a press statement by the Press and Public Affairs Officer at the British high commission, Mr Joe Abuku, the Commission on Tuesday said it was monitoring the situation at the National Assembly and other political developments ahead of the 2019 general elections. The high commission said the British government would continue to support only the rule of law and democratic ethos. The statement read, “We are aware of media reports of a situation at the National Assembly this morning. We are closely monitoring the situation and other political developments…

Read More

Osinbajo sacks DSS boss, Lawal Daura

  Yemi Osinbajo, Nigeria vice president, has sacked the Director-General of the Department of State Service, Lawal Daura in what appears to be a twist to the siege on the National Assembly by security operatives on Tuesday. The DSS and the Police had locked down the National Assembly on Tuesday, even as the Senate leadership had scheduled a meeting to hold in the chambers in the afternoon. Lawmakers who came with the hope of attending the meeting were denied entry into the Assembly by the security operatives. Lawmakers elected on…

Read More

Mendocino Complex Fires Become Second-Largest in California History

Two wildfires blazing in California, known as the Mendocino Complex fire, have become the second-largest in state history, officials revealed Monday. The fire, present in Colusa, Lake and Mendocino counties, has burned almost 274,000 acres as of Monday afternoon and has destroyed 143 structures, including 75 homes, according to CalFire’s list of the state’s largest wildfires. More than 9,000 structures remain under threat. The Northern California fires are burning a few miles apart and have been ablaze since July 27, officials said. The fires are likely to surpass December 2017’s…

Read More