Fresh outrage has erupted in Oyo State following the gruesome killing of a kidnapped teacher, Michael Oyedokun, by suspected terrorists who attacked schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
Oyedokun, said to be a mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, was among the teachers abducted during Friday’s coordinated invasion of three schools in the community by heavily armed gunmen.
According to reports, the kidnappers allegedly released a disturbing video on Sunday showing the teacher tied up before he was beheaded. The development has thrown residents into mourning and heightened fears over the safety of other abducted pupils, students and teachers still being held in captivity.
The attack occurred at Community High School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School in Ahoro-Esinele community, Oriire LGA, where gunmen stormed the schools between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., firing gunshots and abducting several victims.
Confirming the killing, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, described the incident as tragic and assured residents that the government was intensifying rescue operations using both “kinetic and non-kinetic” strategies.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. Unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers was killed by the terrorists,” Olanrewaju reportedly said.
The state government also disclosed that at least six suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested, while additional persons of interest were being interrogated by security agencies.
Meanwhile, protests broke out in parts of Oriire on Monday as teachers, parents and residents demanded urgent rescue of the remaining victims. Schools in the affected communities were reportedly deserted, with many parents refusing to allow their children return to classes over fear of fresh attacks.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu was also reported to have condemned the killing and vowed that security agencies would secure the release of those still in captivity.
The latest incident has intensified concerns over worsening insecurity and the spread of mass school abductions beyond northern Nigeria into parts of the South-West.

