Kidnapping: White helicopter supplies us ammunition in forest —suspect

Member of a gang of bandits that had been terrorizing Kankara and Danmusa Local Government areas of Katsina State, 20-year-old Aliyu Musa, said yesterday that a white-coloured helicopter supplied the gang with ammunition inside Dinya Forest, in Kankara council. Musa disclosed this when he was paraded by the Katsina State Police Command alongside another gang member, Salmanu Isah, 18, and 15 others for various crimes. He claimed that whenever the helicopter came, it flew close to the ground and hovered until his boss, identified as Sirajo, would take delivery of…

Read More

Woman arrested for dumping day-old baby in gutter

Oluwaseun Samuel, a 21-year-old woman, has been remanded in prison custody by an Akure Chief Magistrate’s Court for killing her day old baby boy by dumping him in a gutter. The accused was said to have committed the offence on August 1, at about 4am at lnufele area, Owo, Ondo State. Police prosecutor Suleiman Abdullateef, said the offence contravened section 327 of the criminal code, cap 30, vol 1, law of Ondo State of Nigeria 2006. Abdullateef prayed the court to remand the accused person in prison custody pending the…

Read More

Soldiers helped me escape -Wadume

Suspected kidnap kingpin, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume, who confessed that soldiers assisted him to escape after being nabbed by the slain policemen, was yesterday re-arrested in Taraba State. In a statement yesterday in Abuja, the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), DCP Frank Mba, said Wadume was re-arrested in the late hours of Monday, 19th August 2019 at his hideout at the Layin Mai Allo Hotoro area of Kano State. The police had re-launched a manhunt for Wadume since 6th August 2019 after the unfortunate incident at Ibi Local Government in…

Read More

Forex ban on Food: Employers seek interface with FG to save jobs, businesses

Stake holders in the Food, Beverage and Tobacco sector of the economy, have pleaded with the Federal Government to engage the Organized Private Sector, OPS, and other stakeholders on the recent policy pronouncements concerning foreign exchange restriction on imported goods in the food sub-sector to avoid job loss and business collapse. On the platform of the Association of Food Beverages and Tobacco Employers, AFBTE, the employers, specifically appealed to the Federal Government to engage the OPS and stakeholders in the food industry to discuss the issues involved thoroughly to arrive…

Read More

EFCC alleged raid on Ambode’s residence sparks confusion

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), yesterday allegedly raided the residence of former Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode. News had earlier filtered in that the EFCC was searching the Epe home of the former governor, with many online news platforms claiming the acting public relations officer of the commission, Tony Orilade, confirmed the development. But hours later, Orilade issued a statement saying: “The EFCC has since early hours of today been inundated with calls that operatives of the commission raided the residence of the former governor of…

Read More

Supreme Court dismisses PDP, Atiku’s appeal, says ‘You can’t access INEC server’

The appeal by the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, seeking access to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s sever, has been dismissed by the Supreme Court on Tuesday. The Dattijo Muhammad-led five-man panel, in a unanimous judgment, dismissed the appeal, saying there was no basis to interfere with the earlier decision of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal rejecting the appellants’ request to access the said server. Justice Centus Nweze, who read the lead judgment of the apex court, said the appellants failed to establish that the tribunal…

Read More

Fowler blames low tax revenue on oil crisis

Babatunde Fowler, chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), has responded to the query issued him by the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, regarding the low tax collection in the last three years he has held sway. Agreeing that actual tax collection since the beginning of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration was lower than the 2012 to 2014 period under former President Goodluck Jonathan in general terms, Fowler noted that the FIRS under his watch had performed better regarding specific non-oil tax types such as value…

Read More

20 per cent of nation’s reserves threatened as Irish firm gets ready to seize Nigeria’s N2.9tr assets

Following Friday’s decision of the English Commercial Court to permit the enforcement of a 2016 arbitration award against Nigeria, an Irish company yesterday vowed its readiness to begin the process of seizing $9.6 billion (N2.946 trillion) of Nigeria’s assets. Justice Butcher had on Friday insisted on Process & Industrial Developments Limited’s (P&ID) right to enforce the pre-award interest, a decision Nigeria’s apex financial institution, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said it would appeal. Implementing the British Court’s decision will cost Nigeria more than 20 per cent of its $43.9…

Read More

CBN to restrict forex on more food items -Emefiele

Godwin Emefiele, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has disclosed that it will deny foreign exchange (Forex) for importation of more items at both commercial banks and the apex bank levels. Emefiele stated this in Abuja at the opening of a two-day retreat for ministers’ designates and top government officials at the Presidential Villa yesterday. He said the authorities would also not renege on President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive to CBN to stop issuing Forex for food imports into Nigeria. Specifically, President Buhari had last week in Daura, Katsina…

Read More

Igbo in Germany apologises to Ekweremadu

Following the attack on the former deputy senate president, Dr. Ike Ekweremadu, Igbo living in Germany has on Monday apologized over the attack on him by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, living in Germany. Disclosing this in a statement signed by Uche Anichukwu, Special Assistant to Ekweremadu on Media, Igbo in Germany frowned at the attack, describing it as ‘senseless’. Anichukwu who quoted the group said, “We, Ndi-Igbo Germany, the umbrella/apex union of all Igbo unions operating in the Federal Republic of Germany are shocked and dismayed by…

Read More