Police recruitment crisis deepens, IG ignores PSC

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has approved the release of the list of successful candidates despite the PSC suspending the exercise, even as the tussle between the Nigeria Police Force and the Police Service Commission to gain full control of the recruitment of 10,000 constables has taken a new twist. It was learnt that the Chairman, PSC,  Alhaji Musiliu Smith, was only informed about the release of the results during his meeting with the House of Representatives Committee on Police Affairs, the Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammed Maigari,  and the…

Read More

Samsung set to launch foldable smartphone

Samsung has said it will launch its hotly anticipated first foldable smartphone on Friday, months after faulty screens forced an embarrassing delay of its release. The world’s largest smartphone maker spent nearly eight years developing the Galaxy Fold, but had to hold its launch in April after reviewers reported screen problems within days of use. It was a major setback for the firm, which was hoping to spark demand for its high-end phones with the launch of the $2,000 device, with profits plunging in recent quarters in the face of…

Read More

New Zealand Measles Outbreak Rises Above 1,000 Cases

New Zealand’s ongoing measles outbreak has hit the milestone of more than 1,000 confirmed cases. A total of 1,051 people were affected between 1 January and 5 September, 2019, the ministry of health said. Measles is a highly contagious and potentially fatal illness that causes coughing, rashes and fever. Although effective and safe vaccination is available, some developed countries have seen a measles resurgence in past years. Worldwide, the number of cases has quadrupled in the first three months of 2019 compared with the same time last year, according to…

Read More

Inter Fans’ Group Defend Monkey Chants Aimed at Lukaku by Cagliari

A section of the Inter Milan ultras group ‘Curva Nord’ have insisted the monkey chants aimed at Romelu Lukaku by Cagliari fans were not meant to be racist. Lukaku, who signed for Inter from Manchester United last month, demanded immediate action from the Italian football authorities after he was abused during Sunday’s 2-1 win. A group called ‘L’Urlo Della Nord’ say Lukaku “has to understand” that – in Italy – fans have “ways only to help our teams and to try to make opponents nervous” – and they do not…

Read More

Edo 2020: Captain Hosa Okunbo has not signified Interest in Politics

The election for the Edo State governorship seat would not hold until 2020. However, the sustained peddling of the name of billionaire philanthropist and businessman, Captain Hosa Okunbo, as a potential candidate, is reverberating across the country with seismic proportions. The reactions are understandable. A kingmaker of sort and relentless advocate of good governance for the betterment of humanity, Captain Okunbo has his hands in diverse sectors of the economy spanning petroleum, marine, construction engineering and agriculture. However, he has never been involved in partisan politics. Sources close to him…

Read More

Man arrested for allegedly burning son to death for stealing

One Idorenyin Essien, who allegedly doused his son with kerosene and burnt him to death has been arrested by the Akwa Ibom State Police Command. The incident happened at Afia Nsit community in the Eket Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom. The spokesman of the command, DSP. Mac-Don Achibe, confirmed the incident on Tuesday. He said that the incident, which occurred on Aug. 30, was reported to the police by Essien’s neighbours. Achibe said the case would be charged to court after police investigation. Sources at Afia Nsit said Essien,…

Read More

Immigration officer allegedly assaults junior at passport office

Mr Yemi Badru, an officer of the Nigeria Immigration Service at the Ikoyi Passport Office, has come under fire for reporting an alleged assault on him by a senior officer, Nasir Umar, to the police. Badru, a Deputy Superintendent of Immigration, was said to have been querried by the NIS for reporting the alleged assault on him to the police. Sources revealed that Badru was deployed in the Very Important Persons’ unit to attend to passport applicants when Umar, who is a Superintendent of Immigration, walked into the office and…

Read More

Babies born by C-section 33% more likely to develop autism, attention deficit disorder -Study

According to a study of more than 20 million children, babies born by caesarean section are more likely to be autistic or develop attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Research found C-section babies have a 33 per cent higher chance of autism and are 17 per cent more likely to get ADHD. But scientists are in disagreement about whether the birth actually has anything to do with the disorders, or if both are consequences of deeper issues. In their paper the researchers suggested that not being exposed to bacteria in the…

Read More

Justin Bieber writes lengthy post about early fame & personal struggles

Justin Bieber, Canadian popstar, recently shared a message to his 118+ million Instagram followers that talked about how his life went off the rails due to his early fame, and how he’s now a changed man. The message is an attempt to motivate those who view the post. Unlike most attempts at Instagram motivation, however, this one’s actually going to be read by many people. After starting his post by describing a hypothetical situation that many normal/non-famous people probably face at some point in their lives he said that, despite…

Read More

Nigerians fume, demand tough actions against South Africa, firms over Xenophobic attacks

Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa has generated anger with dignitaries and organisations including President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, the Senate and the House of Representatives, expressing their displeasure over the continued killing. President Buhari specifically sent a special envoy to President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa, to express his deep concern about the “reported attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa since August 29, 2019.” Also, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, in compliance with Buhari’s directive, summoned the South African High Commissioner to…

Read More