Engr. Saleh Mamman, Minister of Power, has explained that the suspension of take-off of the new electricity tariff hike till next three months was in line with President’ Muhammadu Buhari’s announcement of March 29 granting a moratorium for certain Federal Government’s funded facilities to the Nigerian public. Mamman, who stated this in a statement issued in Abuja yesterday, explained further that the decision was one of several critical actions the administration was taking to ensure citizens had power supply in this difficult time. Recall that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, apparently…
Read MoreCategory: News
Reps vow to donate March, April salaries to fight COVID-19
In support of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, members of the House of Representatives have resolved to donate their two months salaries. The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, who made the announcement via social media, on Tuesday, said the donation would be their March and April salaries. He said the two-month salary donation would be independent of the contributions by individual lawmakers to alleviate the hardships being faced by their constituents “at this time of national emergency.” He said the green chamber would monitor the distribution and usage of cash and…
Read MoreFG reduces petrol price to N123.5 per litre
The price of petrol has been reduced by the Federal Government on Tuesday night from N125/litre to N123.5/litre. Current petrol price indicates a reduction of N1.5 on every litre of petrol purchased nationwide. It announced the reduction through the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, after a whole day meeting with stakeholders in the oil and gas sector in Abuja. Announcing the reduction, the Executive Secretary of the PMS pricing regulator, Abdulkadir Saidu, said, “PPPRA, in line with the government approval for a monthly review of “Premium motor Spirit pump…
Read MoreCOVID-19: Pastor Oyedepo donates ambulances, others to Lagos, Ogun
David Oyedepo, the Presiding Bishop of the Living Faith Church Worldwide also known as Winners’ Chapel International, has donated medical equipment and relief materials to Lagos and Ogun States. This is as Lagos State begins the lockdown directive of the President, while Ogun State would commence its 14-day lockdown beginning Friday as part of measures to contain the community transmission of COVID-19 which has infected over 130 persons in the country. In a statement by the Chairman of the Church’s Editorial Board, Prof Sheriff Folarin, the cleric donated ambulances, test…
Read MoreCoronavirus: We’re suspending services for now – Sex workers
Amaka Enemo, the National Coordinator, Nigeria Sex Workers Association, says sex workers in the country have been forced to suspend activities, especially in Lagos and Abuja due to the lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Enemo said,although sex workers offer “essential services” they will remain indoors because their services involve “substantial bodily contact”. She said the association had been able to sensitise its members to the dangers of COVID-19. The national coordinator said, “There is sensitisation across the country including within our network. Sex workers also offer essential services. However,…
Read MoreUK to evacuate citizens from Nigeria, others over coronavirus
The UK Government has pledged up to £75 million to bring stranded UK citizens back home giving priority to citizens on short-term visits outside the UK and those with underlying health conditions. Some countries including France, Israel and the US have started evacuating their nationals from Nigeria. According to World Health Organisation statistics as of 11pm on Monday, March 30, the UK had 19,526 confirmed cases and 1,228 deaths while Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases topped 131 with two deaths. Some infected Nigerians have travel history to the UK including the Chief…
Read MoreCoronavirus: NAFDAC orders manufacturing of chloroquine for clinical trial
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, has ordered the manufacturing of Chloroquine for emergency stock for possible clinical trial treatment of coronavirus in the country. Director General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, in a statement yesterday, said the directive was sequel to claims in some quarters that “Chloroquine, an old antimalarial is being re-purposed for the clinical trial treatment of coronavirus 2019-nCoV.“ The statement read: “In a very recent publication, chloroquine was reported in a press briefing by the State Council of China, indicating…
Read MoreCitizens kick as King Of Thailand Self-isolates From Coronavirus With 20 Women
According to reports, the king of Thailand has gone into self-isolation during the coronavirus outbreak with 20 women at a grand hotel in southern Germany. King Maha Vajiralongkorn, also known as Rama X, is reported to have booked out all of the Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl in Bavaria to self-isolate during the coronavirus pandemic. According to German tabloid Bild, the 67-year-old king booked out all of the Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl in Bavaria after getting the special permission from local officials. The king intended on having more of his party at the hotel, however, 119…
Read MoreOyo governor tests positive for coronavirus
Seyi Makinde, the Oyo State Governor, has tested positive for coronavirus. He made this known via his Twitter handle on Monday. “I just received my COVID-19 confirmation test result. It is positive. I am asymptomatic and will continue to self-isolate,” he said. The governor, who urged residents to comply with directives aimed at curbing coronavirus in the state, said his deputy, Prof Temitope Alonge, would take over as the head of Oyo COVID-19 Task Force. “I have designated Prof. Temitope Alonge, former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, as the…
Read MoreOgun governor says lockdown to commence Friday
Ogun State governor, Dapo Abiodun, has said the lockdown of the state has been shifted to Friday. Abiodun said the state government made a request to the President Muhammadu Buhari, to shift the lockdown which was supposed to take place on Monday night to Friday, April 3, 2020, and has been granted. He said the request was to prepare for the lockdown by providing food for the people. The governor said the lockdown would now take place on Friday and would be total except those on essential services. Share on: WhatsApp
Read More