Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, the founder of Christ Embassy, has backtracked on his claim that the introduction of 5G network was responsible for the coronavirus pandemic. Oyakhilome had controversially alleged that 5G – the fifth generation of wireless communications technologies supporting cellular data networks – was initiated to facilitate a “new world order.” The comments had generated heated debate among Nigerians, with the Senior Pastor of Kingsway International Christian Centre, Matthew Ashimolowo, criticising pastors, who he did not name, for presenting false information with respect to the pandemic. But Oyakhilome, in…
Read MoreCategory: News
Boris Johnson discharged, says ‘Doctors saved my life’
Speaking in a candid video message after leaving hospital on Sunday, British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said his personal battle with the coronavirus “could have gone either way” and said there was “no question” doctors saved his life. The UK leader checked into hospital a week ago and spent three days in intensive care after he was diagnosed with COVID-19 at the end of March, the most high-profile leader to come down with the virus. Dressed in a suit and tie, Johnson thanked his doctors and vowed to help…
Read MoreCOVID-19: Doctors, nurses demand life insurance as cases hit 318
The Nigerian Medical Association, the National Association of Resident Doctors and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives have again called on the government, in the light of the increasing spread and casualties arising from the coronavirus disease, to immediately put in place life insurance policy for their members across the country. This, they said, would further motivate their members on the front line of tackling the raging disease, given the hazards they are exposed to on duty. In Nigeria, as of Saturday, a doctor had died as a…
Read MoreCoronavirus: Nigeria’s cases rise to 305
With 17 newly confirmed cases, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control Friday night said confirmed cases of the virus in the country now stands at 305. “17 new cases of #COVID-19 have been reported as follows: eight in Lagos, three in Katsina, two in FCT, one in Niger, one in Kaduna, one in Anambra and one in Ondo,” NCDC said on Twitter on Friday. “As of 09:30 pm on the 10th of April, there are 305 confirmed cases, 58 discharged, seven deaths.” Currently, Lagos has 163 cases, FCT- 56, Osun…
Read MoreCouple Name Their Newborn Baby ‘Lockdown’ in India
Inspired by the lockdown order to curb the spread of the coronavirus in different countries across the world, a couple in India has named their newborn baby son ‘Lockdown’. The boy was born in Bacheri village in the Sheopur district of central India, on Monday during India’s 21-day strict lockdown. When asked by the hospital staff what name they should write on the new baby’s birth certificate, the boy’s mother Manju Mail and father Raghunath revealed their unusual choice. “He is Lockdown, as he was born during the lockdown period,” Manju said. The baby’s…
Read MoreNAFDAC grants approval for production of test kits, PPE
The conditional emergency approval for the production or importation of COVID-19 antibody and antigen test kits, as well as Personal Protective Equipment has been granted to some companies by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control on Thursday. A statement by the Director General of the agency, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye, said seven companies had been granted the approval, stressing that NAFDAC had also reduced time for registration and approval from 120 working days to 10 working days due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The statement said, “NAFDAC, in…
Read MoreReduce data tariffs, NCS advises operators
In order to support online learning of students during the period of lockdown and school closure across the country, the Nigeria Computer Society has called for a reduction in data tariff. The umbrella body of all information technology practitioners and interest groups also advocated for the intervention of the Nigerian Communications Commission. The society, in a statement on Thursday by its General Secretary, Mr Iyiola Ayoola, expressed worry that the lockdown as a result of the coronavirus would impact education at all levels. Ayoola said the society was already encouraging…
Read MoreRonaldinho released from Paraguayan prison after 32 days in detention
Ronaldinho, former Barcelona superstar, has been released from a Paraguayan prison after 32 days in prison custody over forged documentation. The 40-year-old is set to be put on house arrest at a hotel in the country’s capital of Asuncion after reportedly paying a £1.3m bond. Both he and his brother Roberto were charged with attempting to enter the country with fake passports last month, and had been faced with six months jail time. But judge Gustavo Amarilla has permitted them both to stay at a hotel for the mean time,…
Read MoreZamfara governor gives cash donations to patients
Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle, has given cash gift to patients at Yariman Bakura Specialist Hospital, Gusau in Zamfara State, when he visited the hospital. He gave N20,000 each to patients on admission and suffering from different ailments. Similarly, the governor gave N100,000 to each of the nurses, doctors and ward attendants, while the hospital security got N200,000 to share among themselves. The governor, who was specifically at the hospital to see the Emir of Bungudu’s mother who was also on admission, sympathised with all the patients where he decided…
Read MoreLockdown: Six youths killed in Kaduna as traders clash with police
After a clash between the police and traders, no fewer than six youths were feared dead yesterday in Kaduna State . Traders at the Sabon Garri-Trikania market had trooped out for business activities when they could no longer bear the brunt of the stay-at-home order by government. But to enforce the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown order, armed policemen were said to have opened fire to disperse them. Before the pandemonium died down, six of the youths reportedly lost their lives. Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mohammad Jalige, said the state command…
Read More