Over 12 persons were confirmed dead on Saturday as Kano State continues to witness a rise in unusual deaths. The deceased include professors, a newspaper editor and other professionals. They were buried at different cemeteries within and outside the metropolis. Within the past eight days of lockdown in the state, no fewer than 20 persons have died from undisclosed ailments. Eyewitnesses and undertakers at cemeteries in the state said an unspecified number of people had died and were buried over the past few days. Among the prominent persons that died…
Read MoreCategory: News
Coronavirus: Lagos records 80 new cases, total now 657
80 new confirmed cases of coronavirus has been reported by the Lagos government on Friday, highest to be reported in any Nigerian state in 24 hours. This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 657. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this known via its website. It also said at least 16 persons have died from coronavirus-related complications in the state. The centre said, “On the 24th of April 2020, 114 new confirmed cases and one new death were recorded in Nigeria. “One new state,…
Read MoreOyo to return 1,800 bags of rice donated by FG
On the grounds that the rice donated to Oyo State by the Federal government had been infested with weevils, the Oyo State Government on Friday indicated that it might return 1,800 bags of rice. The state government took delivery of the three trailer loads of rice through the Nigeria Customs Service on Monday. The Executive Assistant to Governor Seyi Makinde on Agribusiness, Dr Debo Akande, explained that the 1,800 bags of rice from the Federal Government had spoilt. Akande said, “We received these items from the Federal Government via the…
Read MoreCOVID-19: Cases hit 1,095, as FG says lockdown can’t be relaxed
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, has explained why the lockdown measure should not be relaxed amid efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic. President Muhammadu Buhari had on March 29 ordered a lockdown of the Federal Capital Territory, Lagos and Ogun states for 14 days to curb COVID-19 spread. Many states had also followed suit. But as the number of COVID-19 cases increased, the President on April 13 extended the lockdown for 14 more days. The coronavirus had spread to 26 states and the FCT, with 1,095 cases recorded across the…
Read MoreCOVID-19: Nigeria records 108 new cases, total rises to 981
In a tweet on Thursday night, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) says it has recorded108 new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country. The NCDC said that the new cases had taken the total number of infections in the country to 981. The centre said that 78 of the new infections were recorded in Lagos, 14 in FCT, 5 in Ogun, 4 in Gombe, 3 Borno, 2 in Akwa Ibom, and 1 each in Kwara and Plateau. The NCDC added that as of 11:30 p.m. on April 23,…
Read MoreOyo state confirms first COVID-19 death as cases reach 17
The first COVID-19-related death in Oyo State has been confirmed by the state governor, Seyi Makinde. Makinde gave the confirmation via a post on his Twitter handle on Wednesday. According to him, the patient died at the University College Hospital before the result of his confirmation test for the virus came out. He added that contact tracing had since commenced. The governor said, “The COVID-19 confirmation test for one suspected case came back positive. The patient died at the University College Hospital, Ibadan, before his result came out today (Wednesday).…
Read MoreSaudi announces Ramadan starts Friday
Saudi Arabia has announced that the holy fasting month of Ramadan will start Friday, as Muslims worldwide face unprecedented restrictions to counter coronavirus. “Based on the sighting of the new month’s moon … it has been decided that Friday is the start of the month of Ramadan,” the royal court said Thursday in a statement. King Salman said he is saddened that Muslims cannot pray at mosques because of coronavirus restrictions. “I am pained that the holy month arrives amid circumstances that make us unable to perform group prayers…
Read MoreCoronavirus: 72 Nigerians, 111 other Africans in China awaiting evacuation test positive
The Foreign Affairs Office of Guangzhou Municipal People’s Government has disclosed that seventy-two Nigerians awaiting evacuation in Guangzhou city, Guangdong Province of China have tested positive for the coronavirus disease. The results of the tests conducted on 56 Nigerians, which were released on Tuesday, indicated that the affected individuals were asymptomatic, raising concern that they might have infected other people. It was learnt that that 16 Nigerians had earlier tested positive for the virus, bringing the total number to 72. The Chinese authorities explained that 65 persons who had contact…
Read MoreNovember school resumption date is fake news – Education Ministry
Federal Ministry of Education has described as fake news a statement which said primary and secondary schools nationwide will resume by November 2020 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The Director of Press at the ministry, Mr Ben Goong, said Nigerians should disregard the fake notice, adding that the author was believed to be mentally unstable. Goong noted that the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, could not have signed a statement where the Permanent Secretary, Sonny Echono, granted an interview, as shown in the fake statement. Goong said, “The…
Read MoreSix-year-old raped by 32-year-old artisan in Kaduna
A 32-year-old carpenter, Benjamin Jato, has been arrested by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence in Kaduna State for defiling a six-year-old in the state. Jato, who lives in Bayan-Dutse in the Chikun Local Government Area of the state, was arrested on Wednesday. It was said that the suspect took the advantage of his familiarity with the girl’s parents as a neighbour to perpetrate the act. The six-year-old was said to have been defiled in a bathroom where she resides in a rented apartment with her aunt. One of…
Read More