Oshiomhole loyalists dares Buhari, says NEC meeting illegal

‌ Members of the All Progressives Congress National Working Committee loyal to the party’s sacked National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, on Thursday, insisted that the APC National Executive Committee meeting attended by President Muhammadu Buhari, was illegal. The NWC members, who said this in a statement signed by the acting National Chairman, Hillard Eta, and the acting National Secretary, Waziri Bulama, stated that they were consulting their lawyers and other stakeholders on the dissolution of the NWC and other decisions taken at the NEC meeting on Thursday. They insisted that the NEC…

Read More

Ogun State tops South-West drug abuse chart – Commissioner

Dr Tomi Coker, the Commissioner for Health in Ogun state, on Thursday  raised the alarm over the increasing rate of drug abuse among youths in the state. She said the prevalence  of drug abuse in Ogun State was 17 per cent out of about 22.4 per cent in the South-West, calling for urgent intervention. Coker spoke during a press briefing in Abeokuta, to mark the United Nations Anti-Drug Day celebration. She said, “Globally, 35 million people are estimated to suffer from drug use disorders, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs…

Read More

Nigerian Embassy in Indonesia attacked

Some hoodlums have reportedly attacked the Nigerian Embassy in the Indonesian capital city of Jakarta. This is coming barely a week after some persons vandalised a building on the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana. It was gathered that the perpetrators were citizens of Nigeria but the reason for the attack was yet unknown. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who revealed this in a two-part tweet, condemned the attack, describing it as “disgraceful”. He said the incident happened on Thursday and efforts were being made to…

Read More

Ex-Oyo Governor, Ajimobi is dead

Abiola Ajimobi’s, the immediate past Governor of Oyo State, has died at age 70 after battling coronavirus-related symptoms. Ajimobi, who was governor from 2011 to 2019, was named the Acting National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress last week but never resumed. The former governor was hospitalised at First Cardiologist and Cardiovascular Consultants Hospital, Lagos on June 2, 2020. He was said to have tested negative for COVID-19 but the illness had caused his health to deteriorate. Ajimobi’s wife, Florence, had earlier been hospitalised with her husband. She was, however, discharged. He was…

Read More

Nigeria Faces Worst Recession In 40 Years – World Bank

The World Bank, in a new report, titled ‘Nigeria in times of COVID-19: Laying foundations for a strong recovery,’ estimated that Nigeria’s economy would likely contract by 3.2 per cent this year. “This projection assumes that the spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria is contained by the third quarter of 2020,” it said. The bank said if the spread of the virus became more severe, the economy could contract further. It said, “Before COVID-19, the Nigerian economy was expected to grow by 2.1 per cent in 2020, which means that the…

Read More

Nollywood loses another Veteran actor

The Nigeria film industry has lost yet another Veteran Yoruba actor, Gbolagade Akinpelu, popularly known as Ogun Majek. It was gathered that he died Thursday morning at his Imalefalafia, Oke-Ado, Ibadan home. The President of Theatre Arts and Movie Practitioners Association of Nigeria, Bolaji Amusan, aka Mr Latin, confirmed his death. It was gathered that the deceased had a few months ago appealed for financial support for heart surgery. Latin said, “Yes, he died this morning and our colleagues in Oyo State are there to do all necessary things. “Everybody knows…

Read More

World Bank approves $750m for Nigeria’s power sector

A $750m International Development Association credit has been approved by the World Bank for Nigeria’s Power Sector Recovery Operation. This was contained in a statement issued by the bank on Wednesday. The statement quoted the bank’s Country Director for Nigeria, Shubham Chaudhuri, as saying the credit would help to improve the electricity supply in Nigeria. The bank expressed worry that about 47 per cent of Nigerians had no access to grid electricity and those who had access faced regular power cuts. It said the economic cost of power shortages in…

Read More

Gambler Throws Five-Month-Old Baby At TV After Losing Bet in UK

A 24-year-old man, Taylor Biggin, has been jailed in the United Kingdom for throwing a five-month baby at a TV cabinet after losing a live football bet. Biggin who is from Birstall, Leeds, was sentenced to two years and ten months for throwing the baby towards a TV cabinet causing him to crack his head. Biggins, 24, had lost money betting on live football earlier in the day. The baby started crying and would not settle when Biggins shook him and threw him towards the TV cabinet near the bed. Prosecutor…

Read More

Man arrested for luring Filipino lady to Enugu

A 40-year-old Filipino lady, Irene Panas has been rescued by Police personnel in Enugu. She was allegedly held hostage by one Chukwudi Odo, whom she met on Facebook in 2019. Panas, an accountant based in Manila, was lured to Nene-Uno village in the Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State, where she spent six months, while being sexually abused by her supposed lover. After her rescue, the victim was immediately taken to hospital, where she was admitted from June 5 to June 16, 2020. The police explained that Panas, who had…

Read More

Covid-19: NAHCON to refund hajj deposits as Saudi bars foreign pilgrims

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) yesterday assured pilgrims of quick refund of their deposits as eligible Muslims from outside Saudi Arabia, who have prepared for the hajj exercise, will not observe the spiritual obligation this year. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia barred 95,000 pilgrims, the quota for Nigeria, from the exercise this year. Those that are entitled to the spiritual obligation this year are only few residents of Saudi Arabia, as international flights into the country remained cancelled as the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) around the world subsists. Saudi…

Read More