490 new cases of coronavirus has been recorded in Nigeria, bringing the total number of confirmed infections to 24,567 in the country. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced this on Sunday. It noted that COVID-19 fatalities in Nigeria have increased to 565. Data from the health agency showed that Lagos, Delta, and Ebonyi states recorded the highest cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours. It said, “On the 28th of June 2020, 490 new confirmed cases and 7 deaths were recorded in Nigeria. “No new state has…
Read MoreCategory: News
Fraud: 11 Nigerians arraigned in US over fresh $6m fraud
The United States has arraigned 11 more Nigerians over another $6m alleged bank fraud barely two weeks after six Nigerians were arraigned for alleged involvement in internet fraud. According to a statement by the US Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey, the defendants are Sulaiman Dosunmu, 39; Tunde Adeowo, 40; Muritala Adeowo, 55; Ayanniyi Alayande, 47; Ahmmed Ponle, 41; Margiettu Kamu, 34; Rafiat Sarumi, 36; Babatunde Oke, 40; Adekunle Owolabi, 49; Olayinka Olaseinde, 42; Olugbenga Oyedele, 47. They were charged for their alleged roles in a conspiracy to commit bank fraud in Southern New Jersey and Southeastern Pennsylvania over the course of four…
Read MoreAbductors tell victim’s parents “we only need her virginity”
Family of kidnapped Bauchi State undergraduate, Patience Emmanuel, who went missing few days back, have revealed that the suspected cultists who kidnapped her, told them that they didn’t need money but the victim’s virginity. The family said Patience, a 20-year-old 100 level Pharmacology student at the Bauchi State University, Gadau, left the house on Wednesday afternoon and her whereabouts unknown since then. Speaking on Saturday, the victim’s father, Mr Emmanuel Kushi, a retired civil servant, said his daughter was abducted on her way home after visiting his younger brother. He…
Read MoreNigerian Embassy: Ghana to concede premises, begins documentation
Femi Gbajabiamila, Speaker of the House of Representatives, has said Ghana is ready to concede the land on which the building belonging to the Nigeria High Commission was demolished. Gbajabiamila also said the Government of Ghana, apart from rebuilding the structures, would hand over relevant documents on the land to Nigeria. The Speaker disclosed details of his conversation with the Speaker of the Ghanaian Parliament, Aaron Oquaye, earlier on Thursday. Gbajabiamila had promised to take the issue up with his Ghanaian counterpart. The Speaker in a post on his social…
Read MoreCovid-19: Africa records highest daily cases as total hits 348,871
African continent on Friday recorded 11,219 COVID-19 cases, the highest daily number ever since the index case was recorded in Egypt on February 14. The Mediterranean country also recorded the first COVID-19 death on the continent. The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention reported 11,219 new cases on the continent on Friday with 216 new deaths. This brought to 348,871 the total number of cases as of Friday; total deaths were 9,098 while recoveries were 166,684. The pandemic has spread to 54 of the 55 countries in the African…
Read MoreWhy We Shut Down Embassy Building In Germany
The Federal Government has said it shut down the building housing the Embassy of Nigeria in Berlin, Germany in order to allow thorough disinfection of the building. In a statement on Friday, the Embassy said the move was necessary to guarantee the safety of its staff and the visiting public amid the coronavirus pandemic. It dispelled reports that the building was shut down due to the non-payment of rent, stressing that the property belongs to the Government of Nigeria. It said, “It has come to the notice of the Embassy…
Read MoreMr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria
Mr Price Group, a South African clothing and homeware retailer, has announced plans to exit Nigeria. Mark Blair, chief executive of the clothing and homeware retailer, told analysts at the group’s full-year results presentation on Thursday that the company would now focus on its home market In 2019, Mr Price closed its stores in Australia and Poland. “Quite frankly I’m not prepared to invest any further whether it’s an investment in time or in money into a country that is volatile as it is,” Reuters quoted Blair to have said.…
Read MoreMan arrested for defiling three-month-old baby in Nasarawa
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Nasarawa State Command, has arrested a 27-year-old man, Ahmadu Yaro, for allegedly defiling a three-month-old baby in Adogi village, Lafia Local Government Area of the state. The Deputy State Commandant of the NSCDC, Mr Bisi Olugboyega, who paraded the suspect on behalf of the Commandant, Mr Mahmud Fari, said, “We have tracked and apprehended the 27-year-old suspected rapist, Ahmadu Yaro. “He is presently in custody for allegedly defiling a three-month-old baby in Adogi village, Lafia Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.” He said…
Read MoreFraud: Hushpuppi arrested for defrauding 1,926,400 persons, made N168bn
In a video released on its official Twitter handle on Thursday, the Dubai Police Force, United Arab Emirates, has revealed how it arrested Nigerian Instagram celebrity, Ramon Abass, aka Hushpuppi. The police said a special team had been tracking the suspect and his gang’s activities on the social media for about four months. The DPF revealed that upon the arrest of Hushpuppi and 12 other members of his crew, including Olalekan Ponle, aka Woodberry, they discovered that fraud amounting to 1.6 billion dirham (N168bn) had been perpetrated by the gang. No fewer than 1,926,400…
Read MoreOyo State announces partial reopening of schools
Oyo State Government has announced a partial reopening of schools for pupils in terminal classes across the state. The state Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Olasunkanmi Olaleye, in a circular dated June 24, 2020, said pupils in Primary 6, JSS 3 and SSS 3 should resume classes from Monday, July 6, 2020. In preparation for the resumption, he said all public primary and secondary schoolteachers should return to duty on Monday, June 29. Olaeye insisted that there must be strict compliance with the COVID-19 protocols as discussed with the…
Read More