Cult leader killed in power tussle

images-2Two suspected cult members have been arrested by operatives of the Zonal Intervention Squad of the Zone 2 Command, Onikan, Lagos. The two suspected members of Aiye confraternity, we’re arrested in connection with a crisis that tore the group apart three months ago in Ogun State, during which its leader was hacked to death.
The suspects, according to police, were also involved in the fight between Eiye rival cult group in Otta and Ifo areas of Ogun State, during which over 20 lives were lost.
The suspects, Sheriff Afeeri and Owoseni Wasiu, according to the Zonal Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, were arrested a fortnight ago, at Agosi area of Ifo, Ogun State, while planning attacks.
Recovered from the suspects was an axe bearing the logo of Aiye confraternity, among other items.
One of the suspects Owoseni Wasiu, popularly known as Olore, said that their leader, whose identity he gave simply as Niyi, was hacked to death following moves by some members to forcefully oust him from office.
Late Niyi, it was gathered, was processing his admission into Lagos State Polytechnic.
Wasiu, who admitted to have been among those that fought the same day, said he was not responsible for Niyi’s death.
He explained that there was an earlier fight between factions of the group, during which late Niyi’s faction, described as the elders’ group, was overpowered.
Irked by the affront, late Niyi and his loyalists were said to have stormed Western City Street in Ifo, Ogun State, where Wasiu’s group, which was described as youth group, was having a meeting.
The youth group, said to have got wind of the coming attack, ambushed members of the elders’ group, forcing them to take to their heels.
Explaining how Niyi was killed, 26-year-old Wasiu said: “I did not kill Niyi, Akube and Heritage did. They hacked him to death with an axe. It was Niyi’s group that came to attack us.”
On his part, Sheriff Afeeri also claimed he had no hand in Niyi’s death. He said he was on hospital bed when the incident occurred.
The Ordinary National Diploma holder in Insurance from the Polytechnic of Ibadan, said: “Late Niyi was our leader. New members, referred to as youths, alleged that he was lavishing the confraternity’s money and told him to leave for another person to take over, but he refused.
“This led to the clash between the elders and the youth group.”

Related posts