China’s top trade negotiator said on Friday in Washington that trade talks with the US would continue in Beijing following two days of negotiations and a US tariff hike.
Speaking to reporters in Washington on Friday, Vice Premier Liu He for the first time gave details on where the negotiations stood following two days of talks with US counterparts, with tariffs and how much China should import from America among the disagreements.
“Negotiations have not broken down, but rather, on the contrary, this is only a normal twist in the negotiations between the two countries, it is inevitable,” Liu said.
“Both sides agree they will meet again in Beijing in the future and keep pushing forward the negotiations,” he said without giving a date.
Since last year the United States and China have exchanged tariffs on more than $360 billion in two-way trade, gutting US agricultural exports to China and weighing on both countries’ manufacturing sectors.